NJ For Change

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Jay Lassiter

I had a visit today from New Jersey blogger Jay Lassiter and he left three comments I would like to share with you. I am reprinting Jay's comments exactly as received and have some commentary of my own after each one.

Jay’s blog is Lassiter’s Space and you might want to check it out beginning with his first postings in November of 2005 if you are not familiar with him and his politics.

Comment # 1 - 4/13/2006 07:47:36 AM

Damn chanice...dosn't the griping all the time get old? if you don't like NJ, there is aplenty of room in a red state sister.
That comment was left on my posting Stem Cells Multiplying. My piece was about how our elected leaders in Trenton had decided New Jersey needed to build, first two new stem cell research facilities, one for $150 million in New Brunswick and another for $50 million in Camden and then less then 24 hours later deciding we needed a third – this one for $50 million in Newark.

My point was given New Jersey’s current financial status, broke as Governor Corzine likes to remind us, it struck me as ridiculous that taxpayers were being asked to foot the tab for not one, but for three new stem cell research centers. I consider my questioning the expense and the need for not one, but three facilities to be reasonable. Apparently, I’m supposed to just pay up and shut up or move out.

I hope my readers will find that I have been doing more than just griping this past seven weeks, but I will defer to Jay who has been blogging for over five months as to whether griping all the time gets old. Does it Jay?

Comment # 2 - 4/13/2006 07:50:25 AM

perhaps you just resent the fact that a black man is getting rich? you're not one of those uncomfortable-in-their skin black people who wants soooo badly to emulate the features of whiteness that you become a right wing goof ball? are you? If so, that must suck.
That comment was left on my posting the Audacity of Hope which was about Senator Barack Obama penning a book entitled Audacity, enabling him to join the Senate’s millionaires club. My purpose in this piece was to point out one, I didn’t know Obama had made so much money on his book and two, that in my opinion he owed his success to getting a good education, setting goals and working hard to achieve them, not to audacity. Reasonable people can disagree as to why he chose to highlight audacity as the key to success; my guess was the traditional go to school and work hard story wouldn’t sell the philosophy of the Democratic Party.

I ask you, does my posting have anything to do with race or resenting people becoming rich, regardless of their race or gender? I think not. The rest of Jay’s insults I will leave to each of you to form your own opinion. It’s becoming clear to me that Jay doesn’t appreciate points of view that differ from his. Is that why you refer to yourself as a ‘progressive’ Jay?

Comment # 3 - 4/13/2006 10:42:08 AM

My mamaw used to tell me that if you can't say something nice to (or about someone) better to say nothing. I am sorry that i did not heed that advise before leaving this post.sorry, i had no right to say what i said.Jay Lassiter
That comment was left on my posting the Audacity of Hope. My comment here is that Jay wrote what he did because that’s what he really thinks and feels - his regret was for telling me and you. Jay, give your mother my sympathies.
5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Damn chanice...dosn't the griping all the time get old? if you don't like NJ, there is aplenty of room in a red state sister.

Speaking of griping, Mr. Lassiter, there's plenty of room for you in France.

3:16 AM  
Blogger PN said...

NJ is a rich state with lots of strengths and positive features, including the people. Unfortunately, we also suffer from political hacks, corruption, unaccountable judges, and mismanagement.

If anything, there hasn't been enough complaining. Fighting for a better state is a worthy, if sometimes depressing, activity.

NJ Fiscal Folly

11:05 AM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

So Jay's a 'Love it or leave it' kind of guy. Who'd've thunk it?

4:18 PM  
Blogger jay lassiter said...

you're good at psychoanalysis chanice. hats off.
but now that you've laid me bare, would you be willing to answer this: is there any truth to my suggestions? especially when i ask about appropriating whiteness?
i see you were too busy pimping me to bother to address that.
Because you're right, i absolutely meant it.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Chanice said...

Jay,
Perhpas you could explain what you mean by "appropriating whiteness" or perhaps give me some examples of some "uncomfortable-in-their skin black people". Your premise seems to be a figment of your imagination, but if you expalin what you mean I'll be happy to answer your question.

Now, maybe you can explain why you avoid debating the issues I raise on this blog and prefer race baiting?

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home